February 15-16, 2024, Braille Fest/Braille Challenge (Snow Dates February 22-23, 2024)
Braille Challenge will take place on Friday February 16, 2024, with a snow date of February 23, 2024 at the Wisconsin Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired in Janesville, WI.
Braille Challenge is the only academic competition of its kind held in January through March each year for students who are blind or visually impaired. Braille Institute developed Braille Challenge to motivate students to practice and hone their braille literacy skills, which are essential to academic and employment success.
Braille Challenge is administered by age groups, which consist of the following:
- Apprentice – 1st and 2nd grades
- Freshman – 3rd and 4th grades
- Sophomore – 5th and 6th grades
- Junior Varsity – 7th, 8th, and 9th grades
- Varsity – 10th, 11th, and 12th grades
Only students who take the preliminary contest in contracted braille that corresponds to their age-appropriate academic grade level will be eligible to be invited to the Finals. However, you are able to participate in the preliminary contest at any level. The Apprentice challenge is also offered in uncontracted braille.
The Braille Challenge has different areas you are competing in based on what age you are. They are as follows:
- Apprentice – Proofreading, Reading Comprehension, and Spelling
- Freshman – Proofreading, Reading Comprehension, and Spelling
- Sophomore – Charts and Graphs, Proofreading, Reading Comprehension, and Speed and Accuracy
- Junior Varsity – Charts and Graphs, Proofreading, Reading Comprehension, and Speed and Accuracy
- Varsity – Charts and Graphs, Proofreading, Reading Comprehension, and Speed and Accuracy
*Participants have 45 minutes for each section.