The Wisconsin Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired has an on-campus library that provides resources and services for students with visual impairments, as well as families, staff, and professionals throughout Wisconsin. Anyone who lives or works in Wisconsin can borrow materials from the media center.
The library offers a variety of fiction and nonfiction recreational reading materials for patrons (aged three and older) in a number of different formats:
- Regular and large print books
- Print/braille books (books that combine print, illustrations, and braille, usually picture books)
- Braille books (while most are in EBAE, we are increasing our collection of braille in UEB)
- Uncontracted braille books (either EBAE or UEB)
- Audiobooks, including books on cassette and CD
- Kits containing a print book, a braille book, a cassette, and a stuffed animal
- Descriptive DVDs that are recorded with a narrative description of the visual setting.
There is also a professional collection available for loan. These materials are written for parents, staff, and other professionals who work with visually impaired students.
The library collection can be searched by author, title, subject, series, professional collection, and/or format by using the library’s fully automated catalog/circulation system. Use one of the WCBVI Library Catalogs to search for materials:
If you are a teacher:
To borrow an item, please email the media center and provide:
- Item you are interested in, including format
- Your name
- The address to where you would like the material sent
The WCBVI Media Center will loan library materials for eight weeks. After the eight-week loan period, please return the item(s) to:
Braille and large print can be mailed Free Matter for the Blind. Everything else should be sent through a paid carrier.
Wisconsin Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1700 W. State Street
Janesville, WI 53546
Please go to your local library and request the item you want through an interlibrary loan. The material will be sent to that library where you will pick it up. You will then return the item to that library.