Working with SKI-HI Institute in Utah, the Wisconsin Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired (WCBVI) Outreach is offering trainings in Vision In-Service in America (VIISA) and In-home Sensory Impaired Training and Education (INSITE).
VIISA is designed to provide information about 0-5 year olds with visual impairments and their families to professionals in early intervention settings. This course is available to early interventionists with a Bachelor’s degree in Varying Exceptionalities, Vision, Special Education, Early Childhood, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language, Deaf Education or in a related field of study. The VIISA Project was developed to provide in-service training to early intervention and early childhood personnel serving young children, ages birth to five, with blindness and visual impairments.
Two courses are offered in this project:
- The first course focuses on working with infants and toddlers.
- The second course focuses on working with preschoolers in center-based settings
WCBVI Outreach will offer a two-part In-home Sensory Impaired Training and Education (INSITE) training course for special education, early intervention, early childhood, speech and language, and education of the deaf professionals, as well as occupational and physical therapists.
Topics covered include:
- Working with families – partnerships, grief, communication, family dynamics, culture, teaming, and family-focused interviews
- Deaf/hard of hearing – etiology, audiograms, hearing aids, cochlear implants, auditory development, language methodologies, and communication interaction
- Blind/vision impairments – etiology, medical vision reports, adapting for and optimizing vision environments, functional vision assessments
- Basic communication and cognition – cues, signals, informal and formal
- Motor development – gross and fine, feeding, positioning, and self-help
- Application of the model – getting around in the natural environment, assessment, family writing outcomes, assessment and evaluation, IFSP development, and transition to center based programs.
The courses are scheduled for June 17-21, 2019, in Wausau. The duration of each course is three (3) days. Wednesday will be an overlapping day for both VIISA and INSITE participants. There will be a course fee of $200 for each VIISA and INSITE. Manuals will be provided.
For more information, contact: